In 1817, the Trustees of Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Mott Street realized that their original cemetery on Mulberry Street was almost full.
On October 29, 1845 Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral trustees had purchased 71 acres of land from John McMenoy and John McNolte in Maspeth and this land was used to develop Calvary Cemetery.
The first Calvary Cemetery burial occurred on July 31, 1848. The name of the deceased was Esther Ennis, who reportedly “died of a broken heart.”
The land for Gate of Heaven Cemetery was purchased by the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in 1916 and an initial Gothic design replicating Saint Patrick’s Cathedral was accepted for the property; cemetery development began immediately.
Development was sufficient for John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York, to consecrate this cemetery on July 14, 1918.
Responding to the needs of Catholics of Staten Island, 126 acres of land were purchased from the Mission of the Immaculate Virgin in the Pleasant Plains area. Blessed by Terrence Cardinal Cooke on 2 August 1980, Resurrection Cemetery continues to meet the burial, entombment and inurnment needs of Catholics and their families from both New York and New Jersey.
Resurrection Cemetery has accepted responsibility for the care of more than 29,000 Catholics and members of their families. Currently the cemetery averages 1,100 annual committal services in graves, mausoleum crypts or cremation niches. As a result of the Making All Things New pastoral planning process, Our Lady of Mercy merged with three other parishes in Port Chester to become St. John Bosco Parish. In 2018, St. Mary’s Cemetery was transferred to the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Cathedral.